Masala vada/vadai/Chana dal fritters is popular food in the south Indian cuisines.
Ingredients (For 8 to 10 pieces)
- Chana dal – 1cup
- Cumin seed – 1/2tsp
- Semolina – 1tbs(optional)
- Coconut pieces – 1tbs(finely chopped)
- Salt – 1tsp(to taste)
- Curry leaves – 5 to 7(finely chopped)
- Red chili flakes – 1 tsp
- Cooking oil – For deep frying
- Fennel seed – 1tsp
- Onion – 1 /2 cup finely chopped
Step 1-Wash and soak the chana dal for 2 hours in lots of water.
Step 2-In grinder take dal grind coarsely add 1-2 tbs water,keep aside.
Step 3 –Take batter in bowl add salt,semolina,onion,curry leaves,red chili flakes, fennel seed and mix a,cover batter keep aside for 20 minutes.
Step 4 – Heat oil for frying on medium hot oil,take small lemon size ball in palm and make hole in the center with finger and give doughnut shape.
Step 6 – Slid the vadai in hot oil fry in low medium flame until both side crispy and golden brown.
Step7 – Take out vadai and keep in tissue paper and fry all vadas in similar way.Serve with coconut/cashewnut/green chutney/sambar.
- Fry vadai in low medium flame for crispy outside and softy inside texture.
- Do not add salt when grinding otherwise batter becomes runny.
- Use of semolina is good option,semolina absorb water from batter,and make crispy vadai also use of semolina vadai absorb very less amount of oil,test is delicious.