Lentil and vegetable based tangy delicious sambar is jewel of every south Indian meal.
- Tuar dal – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind – 1/2 cup pulp
- Sambhar powder – 3 tsp
- Onion – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Sallot – 4(optional)
- Coconut – 1tsp grated fresh optional
- Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 1 small finely chopped
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2, tsp to taste
- Mix vegetables, drum stick, pumpkin, brinjal, carrot-each 2-3 pieces small
- Curry leaves – 7 to 8
- Whole red chili – 2
- Cumin seed – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tsp for garnishing
Step 1 – Wash dal and pressure cook with 4 whistles then for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Keep it aside.
Step2 – Heat oil in nonstick pan and add mustard seed. When seed crackle add cumin seed, whole red chili, curry leaves and all vegetables. Mix it and cook for 10 minutes then add chopped tomato, mix it and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add sambar powder, jaggery, red chili powder, salt, coconut, add tamarind pulp then cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked dal and cook in low flame for 5-7 minutes. Switch of flame.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.