Indian doughnut-shape fritter,popular food in the south Indian cuisines
Ingredients (For 8 to 10 pieces)
- Urad dal – 2cup
- Cumin seed-1tsp
- Black paper powder-1tsp
- Coconut pieces-1tbs(finely chopped)
- Salt-1tsp(to taste)
- Curry leaves-5-7(finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves-2 tsp(finely chopped)
- Green chilli-1tsp(finely chopped)
- Cooking oil – For deep frying
- Fennel seed-1tsp
Step 1 – Wash and soak the urad dal for overnight(at least 8 -10 hours) in lots of water.
Step 2 –In grinder take dal and add all ingredients( except oil and salt) and grind, make smooth fluffy batter (you can add 1-2 tbs water).
Step 3 – Take batter in bowl and mix for 5-7 minutes then add salt and mix again 1-2 minute, keep this batter in freeze for 30 minutes for perfect fluffy vadas.
Step 4 – Heat oil for frying on medium hot oil,take small lemon size ball in palm and make hole in the center with finger and give doughnut shape.
Step 5 – Slid the vada in hot oil fry in low medium flame until both side crispy and golden brown.
Step 6 – Take out vada and keep in tissue paper and fry all vadas in similar way. Serve with coconut/cashew nut/green chutney/sambar.
- Fry vadas in low medium flame for crispy outside and softy inside texture.
- Do not add salt when grinding otherwise batter becomes runny.
- For perfect shape keep batter in freeze for 30 minutes.