Dahi Vada is a most popular snack in India. It is soft, fluffy vada topped with yogurt, chutney and crispy sev. Dahi Vada is served as chaat, snack as part of the meal during festival and party.
Ingredients (For 8 to 10 pieces)
- Urad dal – 2 cup
- Cumin seed – 1 tsp
- Black paper powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1tsp(to taste)
- Cooking oil – For deep frying
- Curd topping
- Curd – 3 cup(whisked)
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- black paper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2tsp
- Green chutney
- Coriander leaves – 1cup
- Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Green chili – 2
- Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nut – 7 to 8 pieces
- Red chutney
- Dry red chili – 8 to 10piece
- Garlic – 5 to 7
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind Date chutney
- Tamarind – 1/2 cup
- Date – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 tbs
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Black paper powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp as per taste
- Black salt – 1 to 2 tsp as required
- Red chili porder-1tsp
Step 1 – Wash and soak the urad dal for overnight(at least 8 -10 hours) in lots of water.
Step 2 – In grinder take dal and add all ingredients( except oil and salt) and grind, make smooth fluffy batter (u can add 1-2 tbs water).
Step 3 –Take batter in bowl and mix for 5-7 min then add salt and mix again 1-2 minute. Keep this batter in freeze for 30 minutes for perfect fluffy vadas.
Step 4 – Heat oil for frying on medium hot oil,take small lemon size ball in palm and make hole in the center with finger and give doughnut shape.
Step 5 – Slid the vada in hot oil fry in low medium flame until both side crispy and golden brown.
Step 6 – Take out vada and keep in tissue paper and fry all vadas in similar way. Cool it all vadas for 10 minutes.
Step 7 – Take water in large bowl and deep all vadas for 1-2 hours. After 2 hours take out vadas in plate and remove excess water.
Step 8 – Take bowl and whisk curd,black paper,cumin powder,sugar,salt then add all vadas keep aside for 30 minutes.
Step 9 -Take all ingredients of green chutney(except lemon juice)in grinder add one tbs water make fine paste.Add lemon juice mix very well.
Step 10 -Deep whole red dry in hot water for 30-45 minutes.After 45 min in grinder take red chili, garlic, salt, 2tbs water n make fine paste.Add lemon juice n mix very well.
Step 11 – In a pan,take water,date tamarind and cook 10 minutes ,cool it,and the mixture strain through a strainer.Take puree and add all ingredients cook for 10-15 min until it get thick and dark color. Cool it.
Step 12 -Then top with red chutney, green chutney, date-tamarind chutney and garnish with sev.
- Fry vadas in low medium flame for crispy outside and softy inside texture.
- Do not add salt when grinding otherwise batter becomes runny.
- For perfect shape keep batter in freeze for 30 minutes.
- For Date and Tamarind chutney if u want sweet taste u can increase quantity of date, if u want sour taste increase tamarind quantity.
- Red chutney -2 days and Date-Tamarind chutney-1 week, Green chutney-1 day stay good in freeze( you can make before).
- For sev, see my sev recipe